Sunday, March 11, 2007

Lemon-roasted chicken


Just a quick detour from mom central to share my latest culinary excitement: lemon-roasted chicken. I first tried this when I had a few leftovers from a lemon tart I baked for my mother-in-law's 59th birthday; had chicken - had loads of lemons - stuffed chicken with cut lemon halves and handful of parsley, and prepared a rub of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and lemon peel. It was so good I had to try it again - and sure enough, I think I have cracked roasting chickens. The neat thing is, despite all that citrus, the chicken does not really taste lemony. It just tastes moist, and really good. Even the gravy comes out brilliantly. All you get is a slight tartness, which really works with the chicken. I have a funny feeling this may be something that everybody who cooks already knows?


I'm nowhere near as thorough as one man's ceiling about food things, but I enjoy reading that blog so much that I reckoned I'd share the lemon chicken concept. If you still eat chicken that is. The horrors of chicken farming could scare a lot of people, including me. I try to buy chicken responsibly, looking for organic or at least free range. I hear that these classifications can be dodgy too, though - but that's another blog to be writing...


5 comments:

dlz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dlz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

YUM. i want some!
Maybe the moist and tenderness of it all has to do with the acid content of the lemon. Regardless, now i'm hungry!

Anonymous said...

YUM. i want some!
Maybe the moist and tenderness of it all has to do with the acid content of the lemon. Regardless, now i'm hungry!

VirtualT said...

one other chicken thing - although the wonders of yogurt are unique, basting with dijon mustard is a quick n dirty way to make roasted chicken (breasts w bones in esp) seem fabulous, and make you want to eat the skin too!